By agreeing to my quote, the Client accepts these terms and conditions unless otherwise stipulated in writing. The following terms and conditions are provided for our mutual protection.
1. These terms and conditions apply to any work done for the Client (you) by me (Rachael Mortimer).
2. The Client is under no obligation to offer me work; neither am I under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
3. I will provide proofreading services as mutually agreed, confirmed in writing by the Client.
4. The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by me, using my own equipment.
5. I confirm that I am self-employed, am responsible for my own income tax and National Insurance contributions, and will not claim benefits granted to the Client's employees. I am not VAT-registered.
6. I agree to attend the Client's or other premises for necessary meetings, the time spent and agreed reasonable expenses incurred to be reimbursed by the Client.
7. The Client will reimburse me for agreed reasonable expenses over and above usual expenses incurred in the process of editorial work.
8. The Client will pay me a fee per hour OR per thousand words OR an agreed flat fee for the job, according to prior agreement.
9. The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
10. If, however, on receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief or from the sample supplied, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
11. Similarly, if, during the term of my work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline. Should the Client terminate a project before completion, I will invoice for the work completed to date.
12. If the project is lengthy, I may invoice periodically for completed stages.
13. Any content created by me as part of the proofreading process will become the copyright of the Client, unless otherwise agreed.
14. The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission.
15. I guarantee that any work that I subcontract on behalf of the Client will be completed to the same standard, schedule and budget and with the same conditions of confidentiality.
16. If my work is unsatisfactory, I will rectify it in my own time and at my expense.
17. Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, payment will be made by PayPal or bank transfer within 30 days of receipt of my invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013). I reserve the right to charge interest should payment exceed 30 days.
18. Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, the Client and I may keep on record such information (e.g. contact details) as is necessary. Either may view the other's records to ensure that they are relevant, correct and up to date.
19. Both the Client and I have the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
20. I may use the Client's name in my promotional material. The Client may acknowledge me in their work if the Client wishes to.
21. This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both the Client and I agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.